9.12.2011

The Bombs Bursting In Air

Last night around 9pm, I heard what sounded like an explosion. This was followed by more thunderous, booming racket. The animals heard it too and they scattered in fear, confusion, and curiosity. Phoenix, of course, was the first to find the source of noise.

I found him staring intently out the back window at fireworks lighting up the sky. He couldn't take his eyes of them - crazy cat. My first thought was, "Who the hell is shooting off fireworks on a Sunday night in September?!?!" Then I remembered...it's September 11, 2011.

I stood in silence and awe, watching the show as it kept going on and on. And I found myself hearing these words in my head:

"And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there"

Have you ever really listened to the words of that song? I mean really thought about them and what it meant to people when they were written? We're so far removed from that revolution, that unfaltering demand for freedom, that we often take it for granted - I know I do. Last night, I most certainly did not. Sure there were tons of TV and radio shows about 9/11, articles online and in the paper, but none of them moved me as much as this simple declaration of liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment